In the past couple of months I’ve been asked on several occasions how I seem to not let things bother me when they don’t end up as I would like. After spending way too long being mad at the world; plotting evil against the offender; getting disappointed every time something did not turn out as expected; I realized I had a couple of options:
- I could remain angry and upset
- I could move on
Now don’t get me wrong; I do get disappointed; which is why I used the word remain. We all do. And if anyone tells you they don’t I have two words for them…………………………YOU LIE!
But then I ask myself how healthy is it to stay in that state of disappointment? What benefit is there? So as I write this I think about you, the reader, you who probably have had setbacks and disappointments from time to time. I thought I would pass these thoughts along:
- If a prospect did not hire you or retain your services; it is not about the next client that will be knocking on your door; it is about WHO is the next client that will hire you. Go after them. NOW.
- If your idea was not accepted by your boss or ”The Committee”, what other great idea is in your head that needs to be presented to them right now. Tap into your inner creativity and innovative thinking immediately.
- If you didn’t get the job, it’s not about there will be another or better job, but what or where is that other or better job and what are you doing right now to go after it?
- If your yearly performance evaluation was less than stellar start looking at how to improve rather than trying to validate why the evaluator is wrong. And once you’ve done that, get even with these: http://shop.nevergrowup.com/product.sc?productId=30&categoryId=1
The other day I was notified by a prospect that I was not chosen as their closing keynote speaker. They decided to go in “another direction.” I love that phrase; especially when you inquire about the other direction and they don’t respond. I can sit there and wonder why I wasn’t chosen; was it fee, style, topic, etc? I don’t get it; they said they wanted something fun. Something motivational? That’s me??? I used to do that. But no more. No more inquiries. No more trying to figure out why; instead I just offer to be a resource for contacts to help them find their other direction.
America’s Best Dance Crew: Top 10 Performances of All Time movie download We seem to live in a world where people think that things happen for a reason. Soemthing better is supposed to happen. Something bigger is coming along. To a degree I agree. A small degree.
My question for you is what are you doing to make what happens after the disappointment occurs. Disappointment and rejection only lead to bigger and better things if you look forward not backward; and take immediate action to get as far away from the disappointment as possible.
Or you can wallow in pity while the rest of us stampede across your head.